Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Birds of the Beaverkill.

Walking around the grounds of the house where we spent Memorial Day weekend, I saw many kinds of birds. More often than not, my attempts to photograph them were frustrated by their flying off as I was lining up the shot and focusing. I was lucky to spot a female red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) perched on a branch.
Some distance away, I saw the more colorful male, from which the species takes its name.
From this angle I'm not able to identify this bird: possibly an American robin (Turdus migratorius), or a yellow-billed cuckoo (Coccyzus americanus), or something else. Perhaps someone more experienced in bird lore can help. Update:  John Hunt says it's a robin.
 This is certainly a robin.
I wasn't sure, but John Hunt tells me this is probably another female red wing.
These Canada geese (Branta canadensis) were in my earlier post, but they bear repeating here.
Shortly before our departure this blue jay (Cyanocitta cristata) alighted on the arm of a patio chair.
A few minutes later I got this photo of the jay in a more natural setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment